TES Bus Safety Rules
Printable version of bus rules: TES Bus Safety Rules
Troutman Elementary School’s Bus Safety Rules
READ, SIGN, AND RETURN THIS PAPER TO SCHOOL BY SEPTEMBER 7TH
(a copy of these rules will be maintained on the school webpage)
Please review the bus safety rules for all students in the Iredell-Statesville school system. These rules are located on the school system website. In addition, bus rules are taught to every student at the start of the school year during the semi-annual bus evacuation drills. Bus rules and expectations communicated to the students by the principal, assistant principal and/or transportation coordinator.
In an effort to provide the most effective and efficient transportation for your child to and from school, we ask that you read the Bus Safety Rules and discuss them with your child.
- If your child chooses not to follow the bus rules, he or she will be given a verbal warning as a consequence to a first offense. However, if a child hits, spits, or injures another student, the child may receive a bus suspension rather than a verbal warning even if it is a first offense.
- If your child has received a verbal warning and continues to break a bus rule, then the student will meet with an administrator/bus coordinator to discuss the offense. If the situation warrants, the student will be given a written and verbal warning from the administrator/bus coordinator
- Further bus infractions will lead to a bus suspension. Bus suspensions are cumulative; that is students are suspended for 1 day, then 3, 5, and finally 10 days off the bus. As a final consequence, a student could lose his/her privilege to ride the bus.
- A parent or guardian must be present or within the vision of the bus driver for any student in K-2 to be left off the bus. Students in K-2 who have siblings in grades 3-5 are permitted to get off the bus without a parent present. And students in grades 3-5 will be let off the bus with/without a parent at the stop.
- Parents of K-2 children do have the option to write a letter to the administration that allows their child to get off the bus without a parent present at the bus stop.
- Students (K-2) who are brought back to the school in the afternoon because a parent/adult was not present to get the student off the bus will have their name recorded by the bus coordinator. After the third (and subsequent) trips back to the school, the student will be suspended for a minimum of 3 days off the PM bus route.
- In every situation there are mitigating (age of student, cognitive ability of student) and aggravating factors (number of previous bus incidents, students involved, etc) that impact the consequences a student may receive for a bus infraction.
- In cases where a student(s) are injured or the safety of the students and driver have been jeopardized, an administrator reserves the right to alter the number of days of bus suspension based on the nature and severity of the infraction
- When a student is suspended from the bus, it is the responsibility of the parent or guardian to make arrangements for the student to be brought to school and picked up from school at the end of the day. We realize this can be an inconvenience, so please reinforce the importance of good behavior while on the bus.
Bus Safety Rules
- Students are to be seated in their assigned seat. Students are expected to remain seated from the time the bus starts its route until it comes to the student’s bus stop (standing, moving seats, walking in the aisles, crawling under the seats are dangerous to the other students and distracting to the driver)
- Keep hands, feet, and objects to yourself. Arms, hands, and head should be kept inside the bus at all times. No objects should be thrown on or from the bus.
- Talk respectfully to others. No profanity, arguing, talking back to the driver or loud talking permitted.
- No fighting on the bus or at the bus stop. This will lead to an immediate bus suspension.
- No spitting at the bus or on the bus. This could lead to an immediate suspension.
- No food, drinks, candy, gum, toys, electronic devices or harmful objects are permitted on the bus. Students are not permitted to spray colognes, perfumes, or use hand sanitizers on the bus.
- All school rules apply at the bus stop and on the bus.
- Students are expected to follow any additional rules put in place by their driver.
Student’s Name: _______________________________________________________________
Parent Signature: ______________________________________________________________ Date: __________