The 2017-18 calendar for Iredell-Statesville Schools is in DRAFT form and the District would like to hear from you. Please pay attention to the North Carolina Calendar Law (numbered items below) and feel free to give us any feedback for changes to our draft calendar. This survey will remain active until Tuesday, January 31, 2017.
EFFECTIVE JULY 1, 2013
2012 Senate Bill 187 (Session Law 2012-145), applies beginning with the 2013-2014 school year, rewrites a portion of the calendar law (General Statute 115C-84.2). Legislation: Session Law 2012-145, Senate Bill 187, Section 7A.11.
School Calendars must meet the following requirements:
- Start date no earlier than the Monday closest to August 26 and end date no later than the Friday closest to June 11 (unless a weather related calendar waiver has been approved, year-round school, charter school or cooperative innovative high school.) If waiver is approved the start date can be no earlier than the Monday closest to August 19.
- There are no educational purpose waivers for exemption of the opening and/or closing dates.
- All schools within the district must be closed all day for purposes of determining eligibility for a weather related waiver (delayed starts or early dismissals of two or more hours no longer apply.)
- Covers at least nine calendar months.
- Must have a minimum of 185 days OR 1,025 hours of instruction.
- Must have at least nine (9) teacher workdays.
- Local Boards shall designate two (2) workdays on which teachers may take accumulated vacation leave. Local Boards may designate the remaining workdays as days teachers may take accumulated vacation leave.
- Have a minimum of ten (10) annual vacation leave days.
- Have the same or an equivalent number of legal holidays occurring within the school calendar as those designated by the State Personnel Commission for State employees.
- School shall not be held on Sunday.
- Veterans Day shall be a holiday for all public school personnel and for all students enrolled in the public schools.
Note: Charter schools must meet the requirements of 185 days or 1,025 hours of instruction.
The following options are being proposed for your feedback. Click the link below to complete the survey.
2017-18 School Calendar Survey
- Option 1 (Calendar draft originally proposed to board)
- Option 2 (Annual Leave Day from November 22nd to December 20th)
- Option 3 (Workday from April 27th to April 6th and an Annual Leave Day from April 6th to December 20th)
- Option 4 (Uses extra 10 minutes by providing 176 student days and a few additional workdays and removed 3 ERPD days)