Vision - Sharon Elementary is committed to delveloping 21st century leaders.Mission - A unified school committed to teaching all students at the highest levels of learning.War Cry - Lead to SucceedCore Values - Learning-Centered Education, Focus on Results and Creating Value and Valuing Faculty, Staff and Partners.
Demographics - Sharon Elementary is a rural Title I elementary school located in the western most part of the county along Interstate 40. Sharon currently has 302 students: 86% Caucasian, 2% Asian, 2% African American, 6.0% Hispanic and 4% Multi-Racial. Sharon has 50.3% of students who qualify for free/reduced lunches. 8.9% are identified as ESL.
Program Offerings - Sharon delivers the NC Standard Course of Study through numerous academic programs including; Envision Math, Saxon Phonics in Kindergarten, TASC science kits K-5, Jr. Great Books 3-5, and Reading Counts K-5. Teachers utilize instructional guides to ensure proper coverage of content as they incorporate leveled readers, novels, Battle of the Books, and a focus on inquiry based, hands on learning. All certified staff participate in structured Professional Learning Community meetings which are facilitated by our Instructional Facilitator.
Results and Recognitions:
Sharon has experienced great success and was recognized by NC as a School of Distinction in 2002-03 and 2003-04 as well as recognized as an Honor School of Excellence for 2004-2005 with 96.1% proficiency. In 2005-06 Sharon again was recognized as a NC School of Distinction and the only Elementary school in the district to be recognized by the state as a school of High Growth. In 2006-2007 Sharon was again recognized as a NC School of Distinction. Detailed descriptions of performance can be found at: www.ncreportcard.org/srv
Key Improvement Foci for 2009-2010 School Year:
- Home of the ISS 2007 Spelling Bee winner
- Largest growth composite in the ISS school district on the 4th grade writing test
- ISS Battle of the Books second place 2007
- ISS Battle of the Books first place 2009
- Numerous Math Expo award winners
- School science success recognized in the National Science Foundations yearly report 2005-06
- School math success recognized in the Saxon Publishers yearly report 2006-07
- 4 National Board Certified Teachers
- Numerous staff recognized for excellence in their field
1. High Student Performance: Increase the number of Level IV students in all areas.2. Quality Teachers, Administrators and Staff: Focus on implementation of Differentiationand the Instructional Facilitator.3. Strong Family, Community and Business Partnerships: Maintain 100% ofparents/guardians participating in school related conferences and increase the numberof conferences to at least 2 per school year.
4. Effective and Efficient Operations: Implement Continuous Classroom ImprovementModel.
Jason Humphrey - Principal
Sharon Elementary School
880 Sharon School Rd
Statesville, NC 28625