The comprehensive school counseling program at Mt. Mourne IB Middle School includes the following direct and indirect student services:Direct Student ServicesSchool Counseling Core Curriculum
- Instruction - Direct instruction through classroom delivery, team teaching, co-teaching and assisting with lesson plans which promote academic, career or personal/social development.
- Group Activities - Conduct group activities which support instructional goals. Examples: community service, college/career fairs, student team building, student leadership workshops.
Individual Student Planning
- Appraisal - Work with students to analyze and evaluate their abilities, interests, skills and achievement.
- Advisement - Help students to make decisions for future plans based on academic, career and personal/social data.
Indirect Student Services
- Counseling - Counseling sessions in individual or small group settings to help students overcome barriers to development and achievement.
- Crisis Response - Support and assistance to students as they navigate crisis or emergency situations.
- Referrals - Direct students and parents to school or community resources for additional assistance or information. Examples: tutoring, career support, college planning, community mental health agencies, and community counseling agencies.
- Consultation - Share strategies which support student achievement with parents, educators, and community organizations.
- Collaboration - Work with educators, parents, and community to establish programs and interventions which promote student success. Examples: advisory boards, school district partnerships, and parent workshops.
American School Counselor Association (2012). The ASCA National Model: A Framework for School Counseling Programs (3rd ed.). Alexandria, VA: Author.
Last Modified on September 6, 2016