iAcademy Academic Standards & Policies
Where is the iAcademy Located: The iAcademy is located on the campus of the Iredell-Statesville Schools Career Academy and Technical School. The address is: 350 Old Murdock Road, Troutman, NC 28166. Phone: (704) 978-2791 Fax: (704) 978-2792.
Entrance Requirements: All students must demonstrate the necessary course pre-requisites in order to ensure the appropriate academic placement and to access advanced placement courses. A copy of the DNPE home school card, and/or a transcript is required when enrolling from a homeschool. Students must have a history of good attendance, no discipline problems, and be on grade level at the time of enrollment. Furthermore, it is expected that the student have his/her own email address, and that interested families have systems in place to ensure student support.
Application Process & Deadline: Interested families should call and schedule an interview with the principal. 704-978-2791 An enrollment packet will be provided if admission is offered. Only complete enrollment packets will be considered. Enrollment closes based on availability of courses, which varies. In general, high school students must be enrolled prior to the beginning of a new semester. Middle and Elementary iAcademy candidates have a more flexible timeline, and should discuss the ideal enrollment date with the iAcademy staff.
Current ISS students interested in applying must schedule a conference with their school’s principal to discuss their educational needs and academic options at their current school. If the traditional high school is unable to meet the students’ specific academic needs, families should schedule an appointment with the iAcademy principal. If approved to attend the iAcademy, students must maintain passing grades. Failure to do so will result in a transfer back to your school of residence at the end of the semester.
Internet Access: Since courses through NCVPS and ISS Virtual are all on-line, students will need to have access to the internet. Access can be from home, local library, at the iAcademy, etc. Laptops are available for students to use at home for a non-refundable technology usage fee of $50 yearly.
Academic Standards: In order to provide a learning environment free of harassment, negative attitudes, and offensive actions, students admitted to the iAcademy are expected to comply with all rules and policies listed in the ISS Student- Parent Handbook and Code of Conduct located. This is available on the ISS web-page under the parent tab.
Academic Failure: The principal reserves the right to require students to be in attendance at the Career Academy if the student is not making adequate academic progress. If a student fails an End of Course Exam (Biology, English II, Math I or Math III) he/she will not be permitted to register for the same class again through the iAcademy.Academic Dishonesty: Academic dishonesty in on-line classes will not be tolerated. Students found to have engaged in academic dishonesty shall be subject o grade penalties on assignments or tests and disciplinary penalties in accordance with the Student code of Conduct. Academic dishonesty includes cheating or copying the work of another student, plagiarism, and unauthorized communication between students during an examination. The determination that a student has engaged in academic dishonesty shall be based on the judgement of the online teacher or another supervising professional employee, taking into consideration written materials, observation, and/or information from students. Teachers will refer incidents of academic dishonesty to the Career Academy and Technical School Principal.
Academic Supports: The Distance Learning Advisor (DLA) is available daily in the iAcademy lab at CATS on Monday – Friday between 7:30 AM and 3:00 PM. The DLA is there to assist students who are having difficulty logging into classes, or to provide a quiet place to work. He is also the first person teachers communicate with when they have concerns about student progress.
The iAcademy also has a schedule of certified teachers who offer tutoring in the areas of Math, English, and Science. Schedules vary so please confirm dates/times before you plan to attend. Currently our tutoring schedule is:
Math~M, T, W, and Th 8:30am-11:30am
Science~T, Th 8:30am-11:30am
Athletics: Students must be enrolled in a minimum of 3 classes each semester in order to be eligible for athletics. Students, who live in the Iredell-Statesville School district, can try out for sports at what would be their assigned traditional school, assuming they are passing all of their classes.
Attendance: Students are required to be on campus 2-3 days the first week of school to ensure they understand how to log-in and navigate through their classes. Daily attendance is not required, unless a student is failing one or more of their on-line classes. Students are expected to sign in and complete assignments daily. The estimated time for each class is 1 to 1 ½ hours per day. This is monitored by the on-line teacher, the Distance Learning Advisor, the Counselor, and the Principal.
Additionally, students who are enrolled in courses that require a state/local exam, such as an AP Exam or End of Course Exam (Math I, Math III, English II, and Biology) or Vocational Exam, will need to take the exam at the Career Academy at the end of the semester/year. Students & Parents are also required to attend an open house at the Career Academy at the beginning of each school year. Students are required to take ALL State Tests.
Dual Enrollment: Students must be enrolled in a minimum of 2 courses through the iAcademy (NCVPS & ISS Virtual, MCC and/or a course at CATS), to be considered a full-time student. The remaining courses can be a combination of home school courses (from a registered home school through the Division of Non-Public Education), private school and/or courses taught at the public high school in your district of residence.
What is the Curriculum: Students enrolled in on-line courses through the iAcademy, will utilize the courses/curriculum offered through the North Carolina Virtual Public School (NCVPS) and the ISS On-line Course. Though NCVPS offers a number of the traditional courses, it does not offer every elective, core course, or level (academic/honors).
Middle School Students: Academically advanced middle school students are welcome to enroll in high school courses offered through NCVPS, provided that their home school approves. These courses will be for high school credit, but will only be graded on a Pass/Fail basis.
Graduation: Students have the choice to graduate from their NC registered home school program, or from the Career Academy and Technical School. Students who choose to graduate from the Career Academy must meet all state and local graduation requirements. Students must declare their intent by January 1st of their graduation year. The prospective graduate is responsible for providing records of all previously completed high school course work in the form of an official transcript.iAcademy Academic Requirements
Program Requirements: In order to access different aspects of NCVPS and ISS Virtual courses, it is recommended that you have access to:
· A Computer: Minimum operating system requirements – Windows XP or Windows 7.
· Internet Access: Minimum connection speed- 2.5 Mb/sec. Recommended- 6 Mb/sec or higher.
· Internet Browser: Chrome and Safari
· Word Processing Program: All written assignments should be submitted in a Microsoft Word Document format, unless individual teachers have other requirements.
The following plug-ins are required to access most courses:
· Adobe Flash Player
· Adobe Shockwave Player
· Adobe Reader
· Apple Quick Time Player
Student Requirements for Success:The following are some of the qualities students need to possess in order to be a successful on-line student.
· Works well independently.
· Stays on task.
· Excellent time management skills.
· Asks for help when it is needed, not when it is too late to turn things around.
· Engaged in computer-based media.
· Turns assignments in on time.
· Follows through on requests from teachers and parents.
· Good basic computer skills (email, web navigation, word processing).
· Have support at home and a quiet place to complete work.
· Has transportation to the Career Academy if academic support is needed.· Textbooks are available by request
Parent Requirements for Success:
- · Provide a quiet place for your child to work, which is free from distractions.
- · Develop a daily schedule for school work, and make it a priority.
- · Make sure your child has the tools necessary for academic success (supplies, internet, etc).
- · Monitor academic progress in each course, and ask for assistance if needed.
- · Remain positive, show interest, make yourself available, and be supportive.
- · Have daily conversations with your child.
- · Provide any required academic tools:
- Headphones with microphone
- Graphing calculator
- Notebook and paper for working with tutor
- · Watch for changes in mood, negative feelings about oneself, and frustration.
- Ask for assistance if needed.
Student’s Name: _____________________________________________
By signing below, you accept the following:
1. I have read, understand, and will follow all information in the iAcademy Standards and policies outlined in the Student-Parent Handbook and Code of Conduct.
2. I understand that it is my responsibility to log into my online course on a regular basis and complete all assignments. I understand that I may need to spend additional time working from home in the evenings and/or weekends.3. I understand that if I get behind in my course work that I will be required to attend the academy at least(3) days per week until I get caught up in my classes.
4. I understand that I am responsible for the necessary computer equipment and software for NCVPS/ISS Virtual / iAcademy courses, when working from home. I understand that I may be responsible for additional expenses for equipment or software for my iAcademy courses including but not limited to: graphing calculator, headset with microphone, software, etc.
5. I have read and understand the Acceptable Use Policy for school issued computers and iAcademy lab computers.
6. I will do all work myself. Allowing another person to complete assignments for courses in which I am registered for is cheating and a direct violation of the student code of conduct.
7. I will email or call my assigned NCVPS teacher or Distance Learning Advisor (DLA) if I have questions or need assistance. This includes, but is not limited to; log-in problems, academic struggles, etc.
8. I will attend scheduled tutoring sessions offered at the Career Academy and Technical School if I need instructional support. I understand if I get behind in my course work, I will be required to attend the academy at least three() days per week until I get caught up in my classes.
9. I will take all required EOC’s and/or VOCAT exams in person at the school location determined by the principal. I also understand that these exams will count for 20% of my final grade.
10. I understand that if I fail to log into a course within the first 10 days of class, I will be dropped from the course.
11. I understand that all grades earned through the iAcademy, including “F’s,” will appear on my transcript and will be calculated into my GPA. This includes failure to drop a class before the drop date (see NCVPS.org for official drop dates), failure to complete all coursework by the final day of class, and/or failure to take any required EOC’s or VoCAT exams. Students are required to take ALL State Tests. I understand that I am responsible for all CCP, EOC's and/or VOCAT exams and fees.
12. I understand that the iAcademy, and/or Iredell-Statesville Schools, may terminate my enrollment should I fail to comply with all academic standards and policies.Parent/Guardian Signature_____________________________________________________Date_____________________________Student Signature____________________________________________________________Date______________________________Parent/Guardian email address___________________________Contact Number_____________________Student's email address________________________________Contact Number_____________________