WHEN can a student take driver's ed?
WHO can take driver's ed?
- Students must be at least 14 1/2 years old on the first day of your selected class to be eligible to participate in the Driver Education program.
- Students must also be in the 9th grade and under the age of 18 years of age. (G.S. 20-88.1)
- Students are strongly encouraged to attend classroom instruction as soon as they become 14 and 1/2 years of age. Every effort will be made for them to receive the Behind the Wheel training by their 15th birthday. Students who choose to wait will be served as space is available.
WHERE is driver's ed offered?
- All students, ONLY if enrolled in public, private, charter, or licensed home school within the Iredell-Statesville School boundaries.
- To be enrolled in a class, please show up on the first day of that scheduled class. No student who meets the current criteria will be turned away.
- Non-public school students must take Driver Education in the school district that surrounds their school.
WHAT does the driver's ed class involve?Attendance:
- Classes are offered after school throughout the school year and in the summer.
- Classes are offered at all 5 of our district's high schools
- Please select a class that works with your schedule so that you can attend all 30 hours.
- Schedule for each school
All students must adhere to the Student Code of Conduct for Iredell-Statesville School students or face possible dismissal from the Driver Education program.If an individual wants a driving license before the age of 18 years of age, the state of North Carolina requires that students successfully complete thirty (30) hours of classroom instruction followed by six (6) hours of Behind the Wheel training.Online Sign Test - Students can practice online.
- There are 2 components - In-Class Requirements and Behind-the-Wheel Requirements
- The law requires students to attend 30 hours of In-Class sessions.
- No absences, tardiness or early dismissal is allowed for any class. You must be in class the full session to receive credit for that day. Attendance issues/emergencies should be discussed with the teacher for make-up time and work. This class is offered to students at least ten times a year.