Emergency Preparedness and Support
|Overview and Resources||Emergency Messages||Resources for Parents and Teachers|
Iredell-Statesville Schools continue to take proactive measures to protect the safety of all our students and staff members. School representatives sit on the Iredell County local emergency planning committees and emergency management teams, the groups that are planning our community’s responses to potential threats. Our plans are made in concert with all other local emergency preparedness plans.
All of our schools have safety and security plans. The plans have been designed with the help of school security staff members, as well as local law enforcement, emergency management, and public health officials. Plans are regularly reviewed and updated. These plans include procedures to respond to critical incidents, such as fire or tornado, and school system personnel practice these drills regularly.
Iredell-Statesville Schools work in close collaboration with local, state, and federal health, safety, and emergency personnel to develop and maintain plans for coping with a variety of emergency response situations. These plans involve efforts to protect all students while they are at school. Our school system also is a key resource for facilities and transportation in other local emergency response situations.
The actions taken during any type of emergency situation depend a great deal on the specifics of the incident. For example, one or more schools may evacuate, lock down, or initiate a shelter-in-place response, according to the nature of the threat. The main objective is the protection of the students and staff members. School administrators have a variety of "tools" to use and have received training on how to work with each of these. The ability to remain flexible is a key component of each school's plan and of our systemwide preparations. Additionally, Iredell-Statesville Schools would follow direction from public safety officials.
If you have other question not found on this site or the links below, please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Everyone in Iredell-Statesville Schools continues to work to make all our schools safe and secure for all our students and staff.
- Response to Homeland Security Codes
- Iredell-Statesville Schools Emergency Messages (see below)
- Emergency Preparedness and Support Frequently Asked Questions
- Superintendent's Letter to Parents on Emergency Preparedness
- General emergency preparedness information for Iredell County residents Iredell County Emergency Management
- Links to Pandemic Flu Information Iredell County Health Department
- Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) publication Are You Ready? A Guide to Citizen Preparedness
- The U.S. Department of Homeland Security web site www.ready.gov, provides information to help citizens prepare for a variety of situations.
Talking with the Kids About the News
ISS Home | Visit our Schools | Parents/Students | Area Advisory | Board of Edu | Administrative/Staff | Superintendent | email | NCWISE | Strategic Plan | Timekeeper